Do you realize that the things holding you back, crowding your space, preventing creativity, and making you feel frozen is mostly just STUFF. Why do you have 8 pairs of black pants, 15 coffee mugs, 30 plastic containers, 5 pairs of tennis shoes,… and ________ (you fill in the blank). What are you really using? What are you loving? What do you require? It’s mostly just stuff.
What is the reason why your closets are full, your cabinets are over-flowing, your decorations are dusty? Do any of these sound like you?
1. I may need it sometime.
2. It was given to me and I’d feel bad to part with it…but I don’t really use it or like it.
3. I’m going to wear it again, I hope…someday.
4. I have an emotional attachment to things.
5. My children may want it someday.
6. It was my great great great grandmas and wouldn’t that be wrong to part with it or change it?
7. It was expensive. I no longer like it or use it but good gosh it was expensive.
and more and more….
So, are you hanging onto the past, choosing to not surround yourself in your style, frozen in old and ugly, unable to make expensive mistakes, passing on guilt to those you love, or are you just full of excuses.
Does any of this fit you? I’m not only talking about the person that has an entire home full of STUFF, I’m also talking to the person that has a crowded closet, could sell their own make-up line, buys mindlessly, or has decorative crap all over the house.
What should you do? Streamline your collections, your clothes, your yoga pants, your magazines/books, your jeans, your artwork… whatever the STUFF is for you. Pick a number and stick to it. For example, if you have 15 coffee mugs then choose 6 of the best and donate the rest. Most of us do not need 10 pairs of jeans. Challenge yourself to live with less. Live with the best of what you have.
Peace and simplified spaces to all!
See my organizing and decorating services here. Love the Space You’re In.